Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Psalm 4

 To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments, a psalm of David

1. Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!



2. O men, how long shall my honor be turned to shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?



3. But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him.
4. Tremble and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.



5. Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord.



6. There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord"



7. You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.



8. In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.


I found this to be a more difficult psalm to put to memory. I find that when I do not fully understand, or cannot seem to find the common flow of a psalm it is more difficult to keep it. At first I did not find the verse that talks of the "many" to fit. It seemed to me that it was misplaced when the verse right after it talks about having more joy than they. I thought they were seeking after God how could that be a wrong thing? But when I looked into the commentaries on the scripture I have found that those who are saying "who will show us some good?" and "Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord" are actually in the wrong.
I will again quote Spurgeon on this for I have found that his "Treasury of David" commentaries are full of rich and clear statements. They have started to give me insights into the Psalms that I had not known before.

This is for verse 6, quote: "There were many, even among David's own followers, who wanted to see rather than to believe. Alas! this is the tendency of us all! Even the regenerate sometimes groan after the sense and the sight of prosperity, and are sad when darkness covers all good from view. As the worldlings, this is their unceasing cry. "who will show us any good?" Never satisfied, their gaping mouths are turned in every direction, their empty hearts are ready to drink in any fine delusion which impostors may invent; and when these fail, they soon yield to despair, and declare that there is no good thing in either heaven or earth. The true believer is a man of a very different mold. His face is not downward like the beasts', but upward like the angels'. He drinks not from the muddy pools of Mammon, but from the fountain of life above. The light of God's countenance is enough for him. This is his riches, his honor, his health, his ambition, his ease. Give him this, and he will ask no more. This is joy unspeakable, and full of glory. Oh, for more of the indwelling of the Holy spirit, that our fellowship with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ may be constant and abiding!"

Indeed the Lord has put more Joy into our hearts as we look to Him and not the things of this world. It is Christ alone who gives us joy and Hope everlasting. To Him be the glory and praise forever and ever!!

 P.S. There is a great resource that I have come across where I have found all of Spurgeons treasury of David books for free.  http://www.ccel.org/   Search under authors and you will find him there with many others as well. I have also found that there are free versions for download on mobile devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on your New Life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...