Sunday, February 22, 2015

Psalm 5

This psalm, again, is full of so much meaning. So rich with the longings of a heart broken and searching for God. As I have read from commentary, this psalm is to be broken into two parts. The first (vs.1-7) in which David calls to God to hear his prayers, to answer his cry, and the second (vs. 8-12) He retraces his request. In other words it is a psalm full of anguish in prayer.

 Spurgeons commentary is full, to over flowing with statements that make this psalm come alive. To even attempt to hint at what all this psalm is full of, I will not imagine to touch. But from his statements on just the first verse there is much to be gleaned.

Quote: " There are two sorts of prayers--Those expressed in words, and the un-uttered longings which abide as silent meditations. Words are not the essence but the garments of prayer."
"Yet the use of language may prevent distraction of mind, may assist the powers of the soul, and may excite devotion. David, we observe, uses both modes of prayer, and craves for the one a hearing, and for the other a consideration."
"'Consider my groaning.' If I have asked that which is right give it to me; if I have omitted to ask that which I most needed fill up the vacancy in my prayer."
Here I might add "If I have prayed in error please forgive me, and thank you that you do not give what I do not need or must not have."

Of course the commentary goes on from there but for now I will let the Psalm speak forth and be ever thankful for a God who hears our prayers.

Psalm 5
1. Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning.
2. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray.


3. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I will prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.
4. For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with you.



5. The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evil doers.
6. You destroy those who speak lies; the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.



7. But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love, shall enter your house. I will bow down towards your holy temple in fear of you.
8. Lead me, O Lord, in righteousness because of my enemies; make your paths straight before me.



9. For there is no truth in their mouth; their inmost self is destruction; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue.
10.Make them bear their guilt, O God, let them fall by their own counsels; because of the abundance of their  transgressions cast them out, for they have rebelled against you.



11. But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you.
12. For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on your New Life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...