Saturday, August 25, 2012

Camping prep, some more

Next up for camp prep is the food. That is a long list of junk food that needs to be picked up and then a few items of healthy things to make me feel a little better about all the junk. No camping does not have to give freedom to this sort of thing but it does. A bit of junk food while camping just makes for some fun times.

How can you not roast marshmallows over and open fire? So needless to say I won't be bothering to write out a list here of what all we bring just cause I think I might be a bit embarrassed. But I will show you the granola I made to have as a snack or breakfast.


If you follow me on instagram you will have already seen hints at the fact that I like to use old jars to store things that do not in any way pertain to what is inside. Case in point. Nescafe jar full of cereal. Yum!!


I haven't made this stuff in so long and had forgotten how much I like it.

I got the recipe from somewhere on the world wide web but that was long before I kept close track to these things and so I have no link to the original. If this is your recipe I apologize for "stealing" it. I did make a few changes so I guess that gives a bit of freedom to re-post it here.

Here's what I've got.

6 cups Oatmeal
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax seed (I grind half of them and leave half of them whole)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds and almonds

Here's where I change things as I go. I found the original recipe a little too sweet for me so it is a to taste sort of deal.

2 cups brown sugar.
       I use 1cup and then add some light mollasses and honey, even a bit of real maple syrup.
       In the end my sweetner might add up to 1 and 1/2 cups. Could use even less next time.
1 cup butter
       again changed this to about 3/4 cups
 1 tsp salt

 Whether I add the next two depends on my mood that day. Sometimes just one sometimes none of them.
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla.

Mix all dry ingrediants together
Heat to just bubbling the sugar/sweetner of choice and butter. Add remaining ing. to that.
Add the hot syrup to the dry ingerdiants.
Let stand for ten minutes.
Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes stirring in between in a 300 degree oven.

Wow that get's complicated, hey?  It's really not that bad it is fairly free to changes. You can do what ever you want in the end and that's what makes for all the words I just typed out.

There you have granola for any time of day or night. Next up, make some homemade yogurt to eat it with. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on your New Life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...