Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas pre-prep

The last few days I have been gently testing out the waters of Christmas.

I don't have anything against the season, in fact I usually jump in with both feet first straight into the deep end.


One thing I have found is that when I do that I get tired of treading the waters.

So I am taking it easy with the prep and allowing a lot of pre-prep.

Last year I was inspired to hold true to my "only on the 1st of Dec. do I set up the tree" decision.


By the end of the month I was happy I had not put it up any earlier. So Again that is the plan. Also makes it easy to get a tradition wrapped around that end of the pool. A date like the first is kind of hard to forget.

::

But the baking must always start before then.
And what better way to do just that then to whip up a batch of Candied Pecans. Easy and one of the best tasting treats in my opinion.

The recipe is a two cupper but I have found that it is just not enough. So this year I went all out. DOUBLE RECIPE!


I would say these are one of my favorite nuts if not the all out.


So two cups pecans covered with boiling water.


Drained


2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
dash cayenne
dash salt


2 Tbsp. butter


Add all to pan and cook on medium heat till nuts are dark and shiny. Crisp looking with sugar crystals. Let cool on a plate.

Done and Done. The season has begun. Slowly. Very slowly this time around. Maybe I won't swallow too much water and taste chlorine for the next two months. The worst part about deep water is that ear full that is inevitable. The one that you can hear sloshing around for what seems to be weeks later. Going to keep my head above water if I can help it.

Enjoy the month to come and take it easy when your mind starts to fill with all the "stuff that has to get done". Remember why we do these things. I know that I often forget.

The wreath is a new little number I threw together last week made from felted sweaters and a wool blanket. Got the idea from here and she had gotten the idea from here. The recipe is something my mom had passed on to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on your New Life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...