Sunday, February 1, 2015

Psalm 3

A psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

O Lord, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me; Many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God.
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, the glory, and lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from His holy hill.
I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.
Arise, O Lord! Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation belongs to the Lord; your blessing be on all your people.




See title. "Here we have the first use of the word Psalm. In Hebrew, Mizmor, which hath the signification of pruning, or cutting off superfluous twigs, and is applied to songs made of short sentences, where many superfluous words are put away."  Henry Ainsworth




"Upon this note an old writer remarks 'Let us learn from this, that in times of sore trouble men will not fetch a compass and use fine words in prayer, but will offer a prayer which is pruned of all luxuriance of wordy speech.'" C.H.Spurgeon



At times we may feel a weight too heavy to bare. We may find ourselves in a place of confusion and despair. With questions that seem to have no answers. We are tempted at such times to doubt the God of the heavens. "Yes, he says he will be ever with us; never leave nor forsake us. But His hand must be far from us." When we look all around there is an army of foes that have risen against us. We are surrounded by things that drag down our souls to the depths of despair. We do not believe. "O yea of little faith." This is His call to us to repent and trust.



In times such as these we are to remind ourselves that the Lord is a shield about us. He is our glory and the lifter of our heads. For He lifted the head of His own son. He has set him on His holy Hill. He is the God of all creation. All seen and unseen. He called into being all things that are and are yet to come. He is the one who calls forth the end from the beginning. Meaning that he stood at the very birth of time and stated the end and worked his way back. From the beginning he called it all forth. The very thing that seems to be the weight of the world upon our shoulders he planned. And his plan is complete. He will work into being all that he has purposed. And it is all for one purpose. To bring glory and honor to His Name.



Let us not forget His hand upon us. His will done on earth as it is in heaven. We need not pray all the words. But to cry out to him is to utter faith. A gift from God. His name be glorified! Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on your New Life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...